[NTLK] ON Topic RE OT

From: John M Powell (jp_at_iwillbefree.com)
Date: Sat May 15 2004 - 17:20:51 PDT

>> BTW, for the record, I detest many of the OT thread topics.
>> For example the POUTINE ones. But rather than complain,
>> I just skip by them and use the DELETE key. Really folks,
>> is it all that difficult to delete messages that you don't
>> want to read?

> Yes. No one has time.

EXACTLY. I know everyone has a right to their own opinion, and to voice that
opinion. And there's an aspect of 'community' where we sometimes get a bit
off the Newton subject. (any chance at a separate 'OT' list so the rest of
us don't have to sift through all this junk?)

As a Christian, I certainly have my own religious beliefs. However, as
passionate as I am about those beliefs, you didn't join this list to hear me
talk about scripture, Jesus Christ, etc. You joined this list because of
your love of the Newton, as did I. Why else would I have spent 8 months
working on purchasing PowerTrans, in part, to save it from becoming Newton
abandon-ware?

Please understand though, some of us have quite a bit going on in our lives.
I suspect even if you don't realize it, you have better things to do than
sift through hundreds of emails determining what's important or not. In my
book, all this OT stuff is SPAM.

If everyone USED [OT] in their off-topic subject lines, it'd be easy enough
to filter them out (at least on Outlook). But that's often not the case. And
in Digest mode, I can glance at the titles to see which emails I actually
have interest in, but then I STILL have to sift through everything to find
them. It'd REALLY be nice if there was an option in Digest mode to not add
in [OT] messages. Any chance Victor? ;-)

Anyway, to answer your question, it's not a matter of difficulty. It's just
a serious waste of time to have to deal with all this [OT] stuff. I (and
others) have thought about unsubscribing at points when the [OT] noise is
greater than normal. Some actually have.

John M Powell
Iwillbefree.com
Travel-CS.com