Re: [NTLK] Package Extraction

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 08:35:47 PDT

>> The previous owner of PowerTrans is attempting to export PowerTrans 4 off
>> Newton so he can send me the packages. Many of the files are coming off,
>> but
>> larger files (dictionaries, etc) are having problems. He's using Package
>> Buddy. Are there any other ways to export files from his Newton to his
PC?
>> As soon as he can get them exported, I'll be looking for a few BETA
>> testers
>> for version 4.0 (must be licensed user).
>
>Well, NewtDump which I wrote a loooong time ago can do this... you just
need
>to use Sloup on the Newton side though. I can't recall the largest package
>ever exported but it did export complicated packages (like NIE 2.0).

Another method is to use EETransfer with a terminal program like
hyperterminal (preinstalled on many PC systems) or any other terminal
program that can transfer using zmodem over serial port. It may be slow but
it is great for stubborn packages.

http://www.easter-eggs.com/newton/eetransfer/eetransf.html#download

You don't need to install the entire suite to transfer packages, just the
main package and the terminal.

Also he could send you a backup of the entire store that the packages are
on, then you can restore them on your Newt and transfer the packages (if the
owner of Power Trans is getting frustrated and about to give up for
example). I would also be willing to help in this regard, contact me
off-list if interested.

-Dan