Re: [NTLK] OT on the list and in the digest

From: flying canoe (peter_at_flyingcanoe.com)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 12:54:57 PDT

on 16/05/2004 10:37 PM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl wrote:

> On 16-mei-04, at 11:32, Sushi wrote:
>> Victor does an outstanding job as the List Dad. IMHO, we are very
>> lucky
>> to have him and his support.
>> The intent of my proposal was not to increase his work load.
>
> I completely agree, there wouldn't be much of an increase of workload I
> think, just set up some relatively easy filters.

Hi All

Another approach would be to increase the number of listmoms and share the
work amongst them. This approach is used by the Mac-L list which is one of
the best Mac troubleshooting lists for those who are not sysadmins. On that
list, the 5 ListMoms take shifts in monitoring the list and when they judge
that when a thread has strayed and does not have enough core content in it,
they kill it at the server so that no more posts make it thru to the list.
This approach might sound harsh compared to the freewheeling ways of the
NTLK list but it actually works very well, especially for those on digest.

I have only recently subscribed to NTLK and have been surprised by its
vitality and high level of traffic. Since I am a newbie to the newton, I am
trying to soak up what I can, so I am not complaining, just offering another
perspective :)

regards

             * * * * * * * * *
             peter rhodes