[NTLK] About .rsrc (was Re: Newbie problems, ebooks)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 00:36:33 PDT

>>Hi,
>>I decided to read a few ebooks and I have spent some
>>time to find them. OK, I may live with that but when
>>coping Sherlock, I received sit.rsrc file which is not
>>pkg and will not load.
>>How to load this kind of file?
>
>Hmm not sure, it sounds like some kind of stuffit file. You probably need
>stuffit expander (freeware) from Aladdin software (there are copies on UNNA
>last I checked.....look under the Windows programs directory for stuffit).
>If that won't decompress it I have no idea. If it is Sherlock you want, I
>have a complete set in NewtonBook. Contact me off-list and I will send you
>a set if you wish.

.sit usually hint to a Mac user having created that archive. You can open
it with freeware Stuffit Expander from Aladdin Soft.

.rsrc would be a file's resource fork (i.e. a separate file). On a PC, the
systems knows what app to use to open a file from the file extension (e.g.
".doc" for Word, ".zip" for Winzip etc., ".sit" for Expander if installed).
Macs don't use file extensions (admitted, files on a Mac *may* have
extensions, but the System doesn't read them, it's just a name the user or
the app gave, nothing the OS cares about), they store the affiliation
between a specific file and what app to open it with in a separate file
called "ressource fork". On a Mac's filesystem these things don't show up,
they're hidden from the user by the OS. If a Mac app saves some data to a
file server running e.g. Windows and PCMacLan or Linux, the payload-file is
created and in some specific instances (i.e. where required) the ressource
fork-file, too.

In your case, the .rsrc-file won't be much use to you. Can you find a .sit-
or .hqx- or .sit.hqx-file of what you want? Download that, open with the
Aladdin freeware of choice, and you're set to go. Unless I'm all wrong and
don't know the slightest thing I'm talking about, which must be assumed at
all times.

Note: This is secondhand Mac OS 8.5 knowledge, so as usual, handle with
care, mileage may vary, post no bills. What *do* I know, anyway?!

DJV.

The Original DJ Vollkasko's(TM) Newton eBook Editions

*** Get it here or from a www.UNNA.org near you! ***

Adorno, Theodor W. - On Popular Music (1941)

Debord, Guy - Introduction to a Critique of Urban Geography (1955),
English/German

Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - Adventures of Etienne (1903) (Etienne Gerard)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - Exploits of Brigadier Gerard (Etienne Gerard)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Final Problem (S. Holmes feat. Moriarty)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Valley of Fear (S. Holmes, Moriarty mentioned)
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - When the World Screamed (1929) (feat.
Prof.Challenger)

Dunsany, Lord - 51 Tales (1915)
Dunsany, Lord - Book of Wonders
Dunsany, Lord - The Emperor's Crystal

Haggard, Henry Rider (1856-1925) - A Tale of Three Lions

Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - Rogues in the House (Conan the Cimmerian
goes Newton!)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - Shadows in Zamboula (1935, Conan again)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - The Devil in Iron (1934, Conan yet again)
Howard, Robert E. (1906-1936) - The Tower of Elephant (...and still more
Conan!)

Knigge, Adolph Freiherr von - Über den Umgang mit Menschen (1788)

Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - Herbert West, Reanimator (1921-1922)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - Pickman's Model (1926)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Call of Cthulhu (1926)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Cats of Ulthar (1920)
Lovecraft, Howard Phillips (1889-1937) - The Picture in the House (1919)

New! Vague, Tom _ Boy Scout's Guide to the Situationist International: The
Effect The S.I. Had On Paris '68 And All That, Through The Angry Brigade
And King Mob To The Sex Pistols

Whibley, Charles - A Book of Scoundrels

Wilde, Oscar - The Picture of Dorian Gray

*** "Don't ask what your Newton can do for you -
ask what you can do for your Newton!" - J.F. Newtennedy ***