Re: [NTLK] sorry, I'm another newtie-newbie

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 23:45:55 PDT

On May 18, 2004, at 8:53 PM, <leighonigar_at_spymac.com> wrote:

> I would be particularly interested in a text editor if there is one.
> Or does the soup based nature of NOS make editing text files
> impossible?
> Also although I seem to have figured out most of the features of this
> device any .pdf manuals for nos 1.3 would be appreciated.

There used to be AvailWorks for 1.x, but I bet it's hard to find
nowadays... You probably need to keep your eye on eBay for a copy.
However, you could try using the built-in Notes. I used to write formal
letters and print envelopes right in Notes. It was a kludge, but back
then, $600 for a newton was much cheaper than a Powerbook 1x0. :-)

> I had a quick look in the archive but it's hard to find anything when
> I don't really know what I'm looking for, same with UNNA.
> I have got package installing to work fine via my ancient PB 190 and
> 'packager' for os X on my main Mac so that's not an issue.

Simply look for NOS 1. Just recently, there was a thread on resources
for those using 1.x Newtons. Several good web sites were shared. It is
in the archives.

> Oh yes, and does 'Handwriting Practice' actually improve recognition
> or is it purely for the user to know how accurate his or her Newton is
> with the current settings?

Actually, it does. As long as you are in cursive, it will slowly learn
your handwriting everywhere. The advantage of HWPractice is that it
knows up front what you are supposed to be writing, and it can
customize quicker than simply letting it learn while you write in other
apps. As you write, and it recognizes, it begins to learn which letter
shapes you use, and which you don't, and from there, customizes your
HWR. On my 120, after a few days of HWPractice, I was getting very good
recognition. By the time I upgraded to NOS 2.0, I had very few problems
with my Newton. However, I played with a 130 in printing, and was
amazed how, out of the box, it got almost everything correct!!!

If I were you, I would keep my eyes out for a good newer unit. Of
course, I can guess that you are. The older NOS 1.x machines are ok,
but a 130 or better 2100 are simply light years ahead of the MP100. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland