Re: [NTLK] http://www.newtenlightment.de/

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 00:19:52 PDT

Aux environs du 19/05/04 à 9:05 +0200, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
http://www.newtenlightment.de/", Paul Guyot prit sa plus belle plume
pour écrire les mots suivants:
>Aux environs du 19/05/04 à 9:00 +0200, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
>http://www.newtenlightment.de/", Robert Benschop prit sa plus belle
>plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>>Thanks Paul, David and the rest for the correction, all sounds logic
>>but still has me wondering.
>>AppleTalk didn't work in Panther for me (and other people) and checking
>>it in Directory Access revived it.
>>Coincidence?
>
>If by AppleTalk you mean connecting your Newton to NCU or Escale, then yes.

We should build a list of working, tested trouble-shooting tips.

Here is one:

NCU says that AppleTalk is inactive and I should enable it in
Chooser/AppleTalk control panel but clicking in Chooser doesn't
change anything and the AppleTalk control panel won't run in Classic.

First solution:
1- quit NCU
2- open MacOS X Network preferences
3- Choose the interface your Newton will connect to (Airport or Ethernet)
4- Click the AppleTalk tab
5- Check the AppleTalk checkbox. If it was checked, uncheck it, click
apply and then check it again.
6- Click apply and quit the system preferences MacOS X application
7- restart NCU

Second solution: (in case first solution didn't work)
1- quit NCU
2- stop Classic
3- on the Newton's Dock, choose connect to -> other computer
4- do steps 2-6 of first solution
5- wait 18 seconds
6- restart Classic and NCU

Maybe we should also stress that problems should be fixed one by one.
Like starting with:
- correct drivers and packages are installed
- wifi settings are correct and user starts with no WEP

Robert, for the sake of MacOS X connection science, could you please
confirm that these solutions work at yours when AppleTalk disabled in
Directory Access? ;)

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/