[NTLK] [ANN] Modifications to my Newton site...plus a new book!

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 23:02:10 PDT

Hey Folks.
I've been playing around with Cold Fusion the last
couple of months and added some new features to my
Newton download site. (see my tag line if you don't
know the URL...as if...)
1) I've added some readme's that I had lying around.
You can click the readme link and be taken to a page
that allows you to read the readme and then download
the readme in text format. (I'm hoping to add a PKG
format soon when I can figure out how to actually
create a Newton Book on the fly!)
2) These readme's are also present in the books
section (http://newton.tek-ed.com/index.cfm?type=2) as
short reviews of my impressions of the book. This may
help you decide if the book is something you may want
to read. If you read a few, you may identify what I
grade on!
3) I've added an email notifier that if you fill out
the form, I will notify you of any packages I upload
to my site depending on what packages you choose to be
notified on. Don't worry...I'm not that
prolific...maybe 2 or 3 packages a week. My SQL
trigger will run once a day and if there is any
updates, the respective addresses will be emailed.
4) I've made the package downloader a bit more robust
(you shouldn't even see this part, but it's
interesting none-the-less) by sending the mime value
in the actual page header. This will make it a little
clearer on some browsers that may have had trouble
identifying the file type

And I've added a new book that I compiled off of
sources on the web. It's a quick lookup book that
allows you to quickly find the necessary herb for that
special concoction you need to create (Wiccans know
how it is...I tend to draw a blank when confronted by
the jars of herbs at my local "alternative resource"
shop...)

Check it out and if you have suggestions, I'm always
open for "constructive" criticism!
Ed
web/gadget guru

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin