Re: [NTLK] Something I dislike in the Newton

From: James Tyler Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 17:01:15 PDT

How long do you leave the newt without batteries? I too use
rechargeables in my newt - and I keep two sets of AA batteries around
for it. When I put one set on the charger, I'm taking the other off to
put in the newton (15 hour charger) - if i replace the batteries within
a few minutes of taking them out the clock and date aren't reset.

If they reset on you the instant your newt loses power - it might be a
hardware failure (failing "super" capacitor / clock battery or something
worse.) If you only have the one set of rechargeables and have to leave
them out for a lengthy time during charging, you might invest in a
single set of alkaline AA batteries to put in the newt while charging -
just don't use it while on these batteries (or use it sparingly) and
they'll last a long time.

As for software to patch the date picker - PLEASE someone out there
develop something like this!

? wrote:

>I use rechargeable batteries on my Newt, and they last for a week,
>approximately. I have, thus, to take the batteries out of my Newt
>every week to recharge them, and leave it (the Newt) without any
>power during one night.
>
>What really pisses me off is that when I put the batteries on, the
>date on my Newton goes back to sometime in 1996 (it used to be
>sometime in 1956, but I heve no idea why, it has changed - for the
>better). I have, then, to adjust the Newt's clock, and it takes me
>some 25 taps to bring it up to date.
>
>Is there any alternative way to update the Newt's clock besides its
>internal clock app? Could one of the great developers in this list
>create a patch that bypass that little calendar thing used to update
>Newt's date (the way the hour is updated is great)?
>
>Cheers,
>Helvécio

---