[NTLK] IP question about MP2x00 WiFi/Lucent/Airport

From: Ben Bowman (ben_at_creamygreen.com)
Date: Thu May 20 2004 - 22:24:27 PDT

Goal:
to Sync my Newton Names with my Address Book app. in OSX (10.3.3) with
NewtSync via TCP/IP by using my Lucent Orinoco Silver card to connect
my Newton MP2000 (2.1) to my Powerbook with Airport (via my Airport
Base Station). This seems to be a common combination of hardware, but
I'm having a difficult time finding current instructions that work. I'm
sure I'm missing something here.
    I have downloaded and installed the most recent versions (May, 04)
of these packages:
Internet Setup
ISP Templates
Newton Devices
NIE Ethernet Module
NIE Localtalk Module
Newton Internet Enabler
802.11b waveLAN Driver v. 1.08a (Hiroshi Noguchi)

--
and additionally:
NIE Patch
Dock TCP/IP
TCP/IP Dock Transport
     The card is correctly read as a Lucent WaveLAN card.
(Card) Setup--
-Mode:Infrastructure
-Channel: 3 (resets itself to this and says 'ignored'--?)
-SSID:10.0.1.9 (I randomly chose this after choosing number that were
identical to my powerbook and my ABS with no luck)
-WEP is off for now because I couldn't find an accurate number. (where
is this?)
    Internet Setup--
Setup name: WIRELESSNESS
configuration: DHCP Server
card: Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE
domain name: (blank)
    Base Station:
My Base Station has a router IP of 10.0.1.1. it is set for single IP
with DHCP and NAT. (WEP off for now)
--anything else here?
    NewtSync--
connect via TCP/IP
IP Address 10.0.1.5 (This is my Powerbook's IP address)
Where am I going wrong?