Re: [NTLK] NTK Classic Vs. Windows

From: Laurent Daudelin (Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 11:56:17 PDT

On 21/05/04 13:49, "Richard Chamberlain" <newton_at_sunsetandlabrea.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>>> Any suggestions?
>> Try running the OS9 keyspan installer from classic. It just adds some
>> extensions, as I recall. You'll need to restart classic afterwards (of
>> course).
>>
>> You can actually drag and drop the classic system folder from your imac
>> to the PBG4, and then use the "classic" preference panel in OSX to
>> designate the newly dropped system folder as your classic system
>>
>> You should then be able to start it up (from OSX).
>>
>> Paul G. has clearly stated that there are some advantages to running
>> under OSX, particularly the fact that Hammer behaves a little better.
>> So this seems to be a workable way to go.
>
> OK I've done that.
>
> I can now see the keyspan in classic and in Toolkit preferences I've set
> the type to Serial and the Port to the Keyspan adapter.
>
> When I try and connect the inspector I get:
>
> "Could not complete your request because the selected Serial Port is busy
> (is AppleTalk active? Or is port being used by a modem or some other
> application?"
>
> Is this because I have both OS X and Classic drivers installed now?
> Ideally I'd like to keep both so I don't have to boot classic just to
> install a pkg.

Hmmm, can't help you with that as I never used Keyspan. Can't you use
AppleTalk over Ethernet like the majority of other users? Much faster than
serial and the connection can be share by more than one OS and more than one
application. At the price that PCMCIA cards go these days, I can't
understand why someone would go through the pain of setting up a serial
connection, specially when the computer doesn't have a built-in serial
connection...

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin                 Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com                Washington, DC, USA