[NTLK] SimpleMail 4.3: No Receive solved (d'oh) * Wet Donkey! * Open [Q]s

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 12:15:28 PDT

><http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/SimpleMail%204.3%20on%20NOS%202.1>http<http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/SimpleMail%204.3%20on%20NOS%202.1>://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/SimpleMail%204.3%20on%20NOS%202.1

>has everything besides multiple accounts and all those bells and whistles.
>It's easy, it's concise, only doesn't really tell (yet) how to get Receive
>to work. Help me, and soon it will:
>
>Q: I didn't get Receive to work yet - it doesn't show me what's on the
>server, nor does it download anything. All hints appreciated.

A: You might wanna check yer mail accounts password, ye sorry sap!

Ouch. That hurt... I'd forgotten I'd changed that account's pwd couple
weeks ago. Well, we learn from our mistakes (darn, didn't want to learn so
much this week, though!) All's swell now, long live Simon Bell!

>Q: Anybody got a clue what Newton Error 999 means (it's not in the
>Errorcode-DB, thank you ;=} )? I get this after successfully sending a mail
>out and after connecting to the SMTP server when trying to receive.

A: Must be the interdimensional ISO-"you devil got yer password upside
down"-code. Anybody confirm that?

>>I think this is a case where RTFM (all 23 pages) is a good idea.
>
>Man, I'm *SO* RTFM like you wouldn't believe. ;=} It's just that the SM
>Guide is not structured in a way that's really suitable for me, I can't
>really well separate what applies to configuring SM, what to Send and what
>to Receive, and how to progress and troubleshoot SM. I actually start to
>appreciate Simon's pun in picking *THAT* title for the manual.

I still maintain that the Guide isn't very walk-me-through-it. But that's
what above linked Wiki-page is for, which has already been updated.

>If you read what the parts do and follow the setup religiously (I know we're
>not supposed to discuss religion on the list, but this is a case where
>it's required) following all the steps in order, SimpleMail will work
>very well for you.

Heh, you mentioned the "r" word! Okay, Peter -- we'll make a deal: Atone
for your, uh, sins by reviewing two mail apps of your choice over at
<http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MessagingApplications>http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/>MessagingApplications,
and I'll keep the [OT] police off your back. Deal?

>>Try to set it up hit-and-miss and you'll be a very unhappy camper.
>
>No wonder, I only got berry cheepee teepee, mistah. As long as it don't
>rain, I'll be okay, though. If donkey get wet, so what. ;=}

Okay, so my donkey *did* get wet. Just don't rub it in, okay?

>> Q: Anybody got a clue what Newton Error 999 means (it's not in the
>> Errorcode-DB, thank you ;=} )? I get this after successfully sending a
>> mail
>> out and after connecting to the SMTP server when trying to receive.
>
>You shouldn't be connecting to an SMTP server to receive mail... That
>is a job for a POP server or an IMAP server. The SMTP server is for
>sending only...

Yer of course right, Marty - what I meant was: Newtie go SMTP nicely, do
send mail, then get error 999 when trying to receive. Methinks 999 come
from Newtie no go POP because WRONG PASSWORD, me moron. Now all well.

>In many cases, the SMTP server and POP server are the same machine.
>Sometimes it's even the same software.

Thanks, Zac! But even in that case I'd expect them to have separate names
such as pop.mymail.net and smtp.mymail.net and possibly separate logon
attempts. Anyhow, the riddle is solved.

#####################

Open Questions:

(a) I've installed the Text Stationary as instructed. There are
now two text stationaries on my MP - one of 12 KB (SimpleMail's "Scroll by
line/by page"-pref), one of 4 KB (telling me "Tapping this does nothing").

Q: Should I delete the 4 KB Text Stationary? Where is it from, what app
uses this (ActionNames, MPG, ICS NewtCase, GPSMap, Newt's Weather,
NewtVNC... ???).

Q: Does the text stationary from SimpleMail offer the same functions? Or
is there any way to resolve that conflict? (Maybe by using ICS Text Editor
-- dead link on the SimpleMail page, though... Empty page linked through
<
http://www.newts.com>http://www.newts.com, too... Not even Archive.org
delivers -- they have the download page, but not the package... UNNA
doesn't know that one, either... )

(b) This ICS Text Editor
<http://web.archive.org/web/20010616120646/http://www.newts.com/cgi-bin/news.cgi?icsnews&04158142749p://web.archive.org/web/20010616120646/http://www.newts.com/cgi-bin/news.cgi?icsnews&2749
-- Q: Does it exist at all? Anybody got this?

Cheers and thanks for the help and kind words,

DJV.