Re: [NTLK] NTK Classic Vs. Windows

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 12:43:32 PDT

On May 21, 2004, at 12:15 PM, Thomas A Isenbarger wrote:
> On 21 May 2004, at 15:05, John A wrote:
>> On May 21, 2004, at 1:56 PM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>>> At the price that PCMCIA cards go these days, I can't
>>> understand why someone would go through the pain of setting up a
>>> serial
>>> connection, specially when the computer doesn't have a built-in
>>> serial
>>> connection...
I agree with Laurent completely on this...
>> I can think of one reason: before you can use ethernet, you have to
>> have a way to get the drivers onto the Newt in the first place. For
>> most folks, that means a serial connection first.
This is also true... The other reason for a serial hookup is for
software development. The Hammer debugging tool uses a serial
connection.
> I have found, using Escale on OS X, that my package installations with
> the serial cable (Keyspan USB adaptor and J & K Interconnect to serial
> cable) are much more stable and result in many fewer hangs, problematic
> installations, etc., than with using Appletalk over wireless.
This is an issue with escale I believe. It's getting better, and will
be fixed sometime real soon now...

marty