Re: [NTLK] Newton Connection Kit - MP100

From: Rowan Pope (xv5080_at_ihug.com.au)
Date: Sun May 23 2004 - 18:12:22 PDT

" From: "Laurie Kern" <ljkern_at_earthlink.net>
I can not get my MP100 to connect to my PC.
My system.ini has the line: DEVICE = C:\NEWTON\TSIVID.386 in the [386enh]"

Hi Laurie!

Bit of a Newbie myself :)

I had the same issue with my MP110. (i got one second hand recently which
reminded me of the Newtons, and i went and bought an eMate.)

Anyway...

Newtons don't like modern PC's speed wise. There is a utility called
'slowdown.exe' which is on the UNNA archives somewhere under connection
software. I have a P4 3.2Ghz machine, i have to run THREE copies of this
'slow down' program to make the system slow enough that i get reliable
connections with the eMate.

Having said that, i never tried to hard to get the connection to work with
the older MP110. The MP110 uses different connection software too. That
device line in system.ini didn't seem to do much for me. I think it's
there for compatibility. Windows XP won't run that kind of Windows 3.11
driver at all i don't think.

Probably your best bet would be to find an old 486 that still works
running Windows 3.11 and use that for connection purposes. Such a PC will
be free, or at most $5. Or maybe use an old mac for the task. You want one
with a 1.44mb floppy drive, but that's about all. A Macintosh Classic II
would be good, and again it should be very cheap. They will read PC
formated disks so you just use that machine as the Newton connector.

Has anyone else on the list sucessfully connected a 1st generation Newton
to a modern system via serial? Does the slow down trick work? Will 100's
and 110's connect to the new MP2100/eMate style connection software?

Regards,

Rowan