Re: [NTLK] [OT] Credit Cards and SSL (was: Found a GREAT DEAL on eMates!)

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 10:58:32 PDT

* Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> [24 May 2004 01:21]:

> On May 24, 2004, at 12:30 AM, Robert Benschop wrote:
> > I transferred money to a legit company recently over SSL and my credit
> > card got 'suddenly' used by a shady company.
>
> Personally I don't think the non SSL credit card transfer is a good
> idea, but it's not really a big deal either.

Non-SSL CC transactions are definitly not a good idea, but SSL isn't
automatically a good idea... as Robert pointed out.

The most vivid (and apt) description I've heard of CC transactions via
SSL is "using an armored car to deliver a letter from somebody living
under a bridge to somebody living in a cardboard box" - SSL itself is
plenty strong for what it's used for; it's your computer and the server
your CC number is sent to that are the weak points, and are what some
baddie trying to steal CC numbers is going to target.

And now to take it back to newtons, I wish that the newt had an SSL
library...

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project