Re: [NTLK] Programming question

From: Andrés Galluzzi (agalluzzi_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 07:17:50 PDT

Hi Brian:
        I'm not (yet) a Newton Developer, but I think my programming
experience will help you (I work making Computer Systems every day).

Newtscript, as any script, is an interpreted language, so, you stay over a
lot of code that is the real core of the system and makes what you what with
that. Generally has many restrictions but in the most of the case, this kind
of programming is enough. I will suggest you thinking in Newtscript as in
AppleScript or VisualBasic (I don't develop here, but many people say me
that in interpreted language).

C++ is powerful, a big jaguar eating every little animal in his way. You are
not restricted with this language but with your hardware limitations. You
can really do almost everything that you want. The disadvantage is that
making some simple app you need to define an control a lot of things that
you may be don't want, and is very automated in Newtscript. C++ is the
language with witch many people write games.

ASM is the single operation on the processor. With ASM you control
everything, but here you go to a level of detail so close to the way the
processor works that you have to write every instruction the processor
process. I suggest you to use ASM in C++ code, to make some things that you
can't do in any other way or for optimization of code. A good Profiler will
help you detect where some optimizations will help to make you app faster.

Hope this helps you
Andy.