Re: [NTLK] [OT] deja vu, ipod gets its own division

From: Vaguely Radio (vradio_at_maine.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 25 2004 - 15:23:31 PDT

I don't know very much about Sun Microsystems, but they strike me as a
company that might be worth investigating with regard to their move to
x86 - they still thrive on Sparc processors, yet Solaris is available
for Intel processors as well. Has this cost them money, made them
money?

I think the nightmare of having to recompile all the apps for x86 and
then ensure that OS X installs flawlessly on thousands of different
hardware configurations would itself be a significant obstacle,
especially for such a long shot (no matter who says that it's a cinch,
I'm sure Apple has at least considered this possibility and it's
clearly not as clear-cut as some would make it seem).

-Dan