Re: [NTLK] "Sharp toy"!

From: Michael Stephens (mike1964_at_flash.net)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 15:42:27 PDT

I recently bought a Zaurus C860 (same OS as the 6000, but clamshell form
factor).
The screen is absolutely amazing, as are some of the features and
capabilities.
Handwriting recognition doesn't hold a candle to my old Newt, though! Not
even close.
Which is why I picked the clamshell with more capable keyboard, as opposed
the 6000 with its 'chicklet' style pull-down keyboard. Other than that,
they
are pretty much the same functionally. The SD card and CF card storage is
plenty -
I don't see the need for a hard drive, as the processor really isn't fast
enough (400mhz)
to run apps which would require a hard drive. Fast CF cards of 512mb-1Gb
are
relatively reasonably priced, and sufficient for everything that I need a
handheld
to do (I don't want it to be like a micro-notebook computer).
I really like it....but there are some things that I like better on the
Newt.
Oh, and Sharp really isn't marketing this device (the 6000) to consumers -
it is an
enterprise device, and Sharp has proven that they really don't care about
the US consumer
base. For instance, the fantastic Cx60 series isn't even available in the
USA - mine
came from Japan, where it has a cult-like following.
For more information, see www.zaurususergroup.com

Mike