Re: [NTLK] eMate disassembly - do I *have* to de-solder?/my emate just came

From: Humphreys, David (david.humphreys_at_honeywell.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 05:27:11 PDT

Ooops! I sincerely hope you DON'T use silver solder for this! Silver solder is used for brazing - a completely different
and much higher temperature technique.

Now there are silver BEARING solders. These are used to attach components that you do not wish to become unsoldered
during subsequent solder operations.

Also, the addition of silver aids 'wetting'.

I think you are referring to 60/40 tin/lead solder or 63/37 eutectic tin/lead solder. (Eutectic means that the
transition from solidus to liquidus is very sharp).

In short, the addition of silver to the alloy will raise the melting point significantly.

Regards,

PCBman