Re: [NTLK] Internal or Card Storage

From: George Bingham (georgeb1962_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 09:01:40 PDT

Laurie,

     I use a 32 Mb linear card in the bottom slot of my MP2100, I
generally have either a nic card in the top or increasingly, have a
128 Mb CF card in a pcmcia adaptor.

     I seperate the applications I consider "fundemental" to my use of
the Newton and store those internally, including apps that need to be
there, i.e. NIE, ATA support, extensions like my notepad
stationaries, MacInTalk (at least I consider it fundemental to the way
I use my Newton, others may scoff). Apps like 'Mail V', backdrop app,
'HyperNewt', 'Works', and certain fonts to be fundemental to my use of
the Newton. I keep those Internally, as I want to be able to use them
whether or not I have my memory card(s) functioning and present in my
newton.

    Pretty much all data (notes, i/obox items, works documents, books,
sounds, mp3s) are stored on my card. These are things which tend to
grow over time and therefore need the extra space. Also, if my Newton
were to break down (God please forbid!!) (doh! did i violate the 'no
religion' rule?) then my data may live to see another Newton....

     I love having the 128 Mb ATA card, currently it's got several
MP3s, games, movies, stuff I consider non-essential, because when I
first got it, I wanted to guard against losing important data.
However, my trust level of the ATA storage medium in the Newton has
grown, and I'd like to move my data from the 32 Mb linear card to the
Compact Flash card and just use that.

     The only problem with the above is that I do not have a reliable
way of backing up my Newton data, as I have not been able to use NCU
or NBU (neither on my old Quadra 660AV still running system 7.5.5 nor
on my Win2k box) to backup anything but the internal memory. I believe
that I can use certain unix utilities and a cheapo card reader I
recently purchased to backup the CF cards, and since they're cheap and
freely available, I believe I may be able to back them up and restore
them, but I have not actually done it yet. Plan to work on that this
weekend.

HTH,

George