Re: [NTLK] copying pkg's to newton

From: RossO (newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 11:01:37 PDT

On May 30, 2004, at 6:08 AM, Michael J. Hußmann wrote:
> Edmund Blackadder (edmund_at_helmug.gr) wrote:
>
>> For example i want to beam NIE 2.0 to the second newton. I just copy
>> the extension?
>
> […] Second, most of these can't be transferred by beaming -- only
> "Newton Devices" can. However, when you have an ethernet card, you can
> beam "Newton Devices" and the ethernet card's driver to another
> Newton, insert the ethernet card, configure it for AppleTalk, and
> install the rest of the NIE packages via ethernet.

Why is it not possible to bean the other extensions? Is it because they
are 'live' in the system? Could they be frozen and then beamed? this
sounds like a solvable problem.

If you want to talk about Newton annoyances, the inability to easily
duplicate pkgs and backup to other cards is really annoying.

I'm one of the lucky masses that have gotten one of the rochester
emates and I'm thinking ahead to when I get it and want to duplicate my
MP2000's setup on it. First order of business will be to get the NIE
extensions on there and the wavelan driver.

...Ross...

--
What should I do with my life?
          "Agitate. Agitate, Agitate." - Frederick Douglass