[NTLK] Disassembly Surprises

From: Josef Chessor (josefcub_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 04 2004 - 22:27:58 PST

Hi Everyone!

     Today I decided to examine the dysfunctional MP2100 that I'd been
given (left corner touch screen alignment problem, dead NIC port), and
used Frank's comprehensive photographic [dis]assembly tutorials to
completely discombobulate the poor Newt.

     On opening it up, I discovered a rather horrific sight. Iron
oxide dust, rusty metal flashing on the IR package, and a rather
nasty-looking circular corrosion on the ROM board's contacts. Well,
this mail isn't asking how to clean it up. I've already managed as
much of that as possible. ;) My question to the technically minded
members of the list is: What interesting surprises have you found
opening up Newtons before?

      This is the first time I've ever actually braved performing
surgery on one of my soup, and it was definitely challenging. (I also
accidentally broke the lower part of the battery compartment off of
the LCD support tray, but did so in a way that it doesn't interfere
with my packs. WHEW!) On a side note, the problems with this poor
Newt are at least surmountable. A 2000's touch screen, coupled with a
SER-001 should make the poor thing better than new. ;)

Enough of my rambling. :)

Take Care!
Josef

--
"I laugh because I dare not cry.  This is a crazy world
 and the only way to enjoy it is to treat it as a joke."