Re: [NTLK] "Knowledge-Navigator" STOLE MY PICTURE! What should I do?

From: Keith Martin (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 10 2004 - 12:12:48 PST

Sometime around 10/11/04 (at 11:54 am -0800) Mark Jozaitis said:

>I never thought we would
>ever have to do that, but not all people are honest, I
>proably would have let him use it if he asked, and I
>think even Google proctects images...

Actually, I don't mean to alarm you, but Google doesn't do anything
of the sort. It does alert anyone looking for images that copyright
may be an issue, but it doesn't attempt to do anything further. Nor
should it; that's not its place in law.

Sadly, anything published runs the risk of being misused in this kind
of way. It could have been a photo from an Apple catalogue (breaking
Apple's copyright), something from an old advert (breaking the
photographer's copyright), or anything else.

All you can do is take reasonable steps to prevent or discourage such
behaviour, but don't make life hard for yourself or those viewing
your images in a more legitimate way. The branding you applied would
satisfy the first part of this suggestion very well, but it does go a
little too far. :-) Perhaps drop the opacity of the branding or make
it a more subdued tone? Just one placed in the right place would
probably do the trick, too.

Good luck!