[NTLK] Technical: GPS, the Newton 120, RS-422 and NMEA 0183 protocols

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 16:10:54 PST

How successful am I going to be, trying to get my Newton 120 (v1.3 or
v2.0) to communicate with the current crop of high tech, miniature GPS
devices?

Specifically:
1) I've seen (relatively) cheap, mini GPS receivers on eBay, which
utilize PS/2 ports for RS-232 communications and 5v-9v power. The link
to the PDF manual for the device is here:

   http://www.polstargps.com.tw/download/PGM-111.pdf

I want to build a small project box with 4 AA NiMH batteries, to supply
power to the PS/2 connector, plus provide a Newton compatible DIN 8
RS-422 serial cable for the RS-232 signals from the device.

2) GPS Map Lite v1.2 (freeware) looks pretty impressive and runs on my
MP120 so my questions are about using GPS Map Lite this type device.

a) From the GPS Map Lite manual: The Newton compatible PDA has a mini
DIN 8 female connector with RS422 levels. For making it RS232
compatible normally pin 8 must be connected to pin 4.

I imagine this applies in the case of this receiver mentioned above
because the receiver does provides both, RS232 and TTL on PS/2 pin
outs, I would simply ignore the TTL outputs.

b) GPS Map Lite is aware of four NMEA 0183 message combinations:
         $GPGGA + $GPVTG
         $GPGGA + $GPRMC
         $GPGLL + $GPVTG
         or $GPRMC alone.

The Polstar receiver says it provides NMEA 0183 GGA, GSV, GSA, RMC,
(optional VTG, GLL)

Sounds like it should work, no? Does anyone have any experience with
GPS Map Lite on their Newton using an external GPS device?

Thanks for any input...

Ron

--
Sent using Mail for Mac OS X. Cyberdog lives!
--
    |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET