[NTLK] [MP2100] MODEMtoMODEM communication problem

From: arfalas (arfalas_at_capovolto.org)
Date: Fri Nov 26 2004 - 10:25:20 PST

Hello! I have some problems with modem to modem connection.I have
searched on wikiwikinewt, and on the searchable newtontalk archvie
using the word "modem" and later with "MODEMtoMODEM success!!!", trying
some AT strings.
I am trying to connect a MP2100 (ROM 2.1 (717260)) to a PowerMac G4_at_400
(the first with AGP graphics, MAC OS 9.0 without any update), using NCU
/ NBU.

Newton side:
MODEL: PCMCIA Dynalink Data/Fax modem ( on the Right/Bottom Slot)
SETUP
Modem Volume: 1/4
Require dial tone: Unchecked
Tone dialing
Connect using: Right PC Card
Modem Setup: 14.4 Alternate 1

Auto Dock: unchecked

DOCK
My name
Connect via: Modem
Connect to: Home
        Will dial: my_home_number

PowerMac side:
Internal modem / default configuration

NCU/NBU:
Appletalk Unchecked / Internal Modem: Checked
(All other options are untouched)

One *important* thing.I am trying to *DIRECTLY* connect the mp to
G4.So, i try:

Start the connection on mp side -> open NCU/NBU
        [nothing happens,NCU/NBU does not see the mp]
Start the connection on mp side -> using Kermit / Zmodem / Black Night
to give auto answer (ATA) and some other strings -> open NCU/NBU
        [the newt and the terminal emulation program "talk" but I cannot open
NCU/BU because the modem port is being used by another app]
Start the connection on mp side -> using Kermit to give auto answer
(ATA) or some other strings and "File / Transfer to.. -> NCU/NBU
        [the newt and the terminal emulation program "talk" but NCU/BU does
not see the mp]
Start the connection on mp side -> using Black Night (set to not hang
up when quitted) to give auto answer (ATA) or some other strings ->
open NCU/NBU
        [the newt and the terminal emulation program "talk" but NCU/BU does
not see the mp]

I've tried the above things in all the manner, reversing, waiting,
launching after the newt compose the number, after the newt connect,
before, while, it's driving me crazy *_*.Oh, the last thing, the
oputput of the terminal emulation apps:

OK
ATA

CONNECTED XXXXX
(some strange characters)

Sorry for the long message, i just want to give useful information, and
thanks for all the replies.

--
let the pink flows