Re: [NTLK] 802.11 card question

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 09:47:31 PDT

Cwashiidcvrmtrs_at_aol.com wrote:

> While we're at it, I have never taken my 2100 online, but I am interested in
> trying it on my home 802.11b network.
>
> I know I will need:
> -a wireless PC card, 16-bit I assume?
> -a driver for the PC card, and
> -a browser on my Newton
>
> Now, I have a Proxim Skyline 802.11b PC card, 16-bit/5v, will that work?

Should work like a charm.

> If so, where can I find a driver for it, and any other PC card that will work
> w/ my Newton?

The driver was written by a Japanese fellow by the name of Hiroshi. You can
download the driver from his page:

http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm

Additionally, there is a further patch for this driver to support a number of
other cards. This is called MoreWiFi, but you shouldn't need it for your
card. I'm linking to it here because the compatibility list is much longer
and more up to date than Hiroshi's:

http://www.kallisys.com/newton/morewifi/

> Finally, what is the best browser out there for my 2100? I am a AOL user; is
> there someting like the old "ALoha" out there that I can use?

Aloha was only for retrieving mail from AOL, and it hasn't worked for years
(since AOL eliminated their text-based interface, IIRC).

I wrote a comparison of the four major contenders in this arena a while ago.
It's in this message in the list archive, almost at the bottom of the message:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=108682033819590&w=2