Re: [NTLK] Email for older Newtons...

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 10:39:28 PDT

On Thursday, September 30, 2004, at 05:32 PM, Dale A. Raby wrote:
> my most modern unit
> is a MP 110. It does all the tasks it was intended with one
> exception.... it has no email capability.

I've been able to get GoFetch Shell Transport to work reliably on my
MP120 v2.0, you would have to see if will work on your MP110. Search
the web & unna for it, I was able to find a v1.27 out there.

> even if the system
> they originally had set up with SprintNet was still in existence...
> which it probably is not.

It is not.

> In any case, it seemed to me that there was no reason I could not set
> up
> my own personal dialup ISP just for myself.

That's exactly what you will have to do.

In fact, if you need help, I've already done that. I use 2 Quadra
840av's, each running NetBSD. One is a router for my DSL and the other
is the dial-in server for my Newton. I've been trying to find the time
to put up a web site detailing this stuff but a full-time job and
married life leaves little time for "hobbies," so-to-speak.

> Does anyone out there know the mail protocols that are hardwired into
> the OMP and the MP110? This would be a start....

Yes, they are hard wired, but they can be disabled. With GoFetch Shell
Transport, you will want to keep them enabled. GoFetch gives you an
additional "Transport" method for your In/Out Box (plus stationary). It
works with the built-in email protocols and data fields to provide
tight integration with your Names and Notes apps on your Newton.

With GoFetch, you will need to have dial-in "shell" access to an ISP or
some other Unix system, or, you will need to build your own dial-in
shell server.

If you would like to try it out my server to see if it would work, send
me a note off-line and I'll send you an eBook with the detailed
instructions for dialing in. I've been wanting to see if it will work
with older v1.3 Newtons.

Ron

--
     ____                                    RAParker @