[NTLK] Buggy ATA cards (was: Re: einstein -> antelope -> oqo? RANT ALERT!)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 00:11:14 PDT

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Jim Witte wrote:

> Paul could answer this better - ATA support doesn't work with some
> cards, and it might be because they are just too slow for the NOS to
> work with - it wants data quicker than the card can provide it.

The reason why some cards don't work is that they are buggy. There are
several websites devoted to bugs in ATA firmwares. The Newton is more
sensitive to these bugs because it doesn't access cards in their most
common mode, True IDE mode, but in memory or I/O mode. The first versions
of ATA Support only accessed the cards in memory mode and many cards only
work in I/O or True IDE mode. All three modes are supposed to work, btw.

I usually suggest getting CompactFlash cards: they are cheaper, reasonably
fast and the standard is more strict and clear. Manufacturer cannot put
the CF logo on the cards without saying here or there that they respect
the standard.

Paul