[NTLK] ATA Card speed...

From: Gavin McKenzie (gavin.mckenzie_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 19:03:22 PDT

Folks,

I've researched the archives and read the card compatibility / speed
page on kallisys, but...

I've just sent in payment for ATA support. And I've picked up a 128Mb
SanDisk card to use with my Newton. Yes, I know 128Mb is arguably way
too big, but it is about the smallest that you can buy in retail
stores. Sure, I could check out eBay for something smaller, but I can
be a bit of an instant gratification guy. My plan is to partitiion
it up rather small anyway.

I tested ATA support with a 16Mb card that came with a digital camera
and got about 2kb/s with Nick's TestIt and about 400 average on the
ATA butterfly read test.

The 128Mb card scores a dismal 0.5kb/s (ugh) and 900 average read speed (yowza!)
The SanDisk card is just your basic SanDisk CF card. Not an "Ultra"
or anything.

So, here's the question. Clearly the write speed is veeerrrrryyyyyy
slloooowww. But the read speed looks really fast. Does anyone have a
card that they are using with comparably slow write speeds? Is it
usable?

My hope is that daily use with a Newt would be more sensitive to read
speed rather than write speed (and that a higher read vs write ratio
would be a good thing), and that even a very slow write speed will
only be a problem when moving information onto the card or doing large
writes.

Am I rationalizing a bad situation? Should I return the card and look
for something that is slower on the read but faster on the write?

Comments welcome.

Gavin.