Re: [NTLK] Device candidate for einstein?..

From: Alexey Danilchenko (a.danilchenko_at_searchspace.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 08:56:36 PDT

> Then again - do we really NEED a 1.3 megapixel camera with crappy
> focus and depth of feild on our Newton? SURE, why not - it's already in
> the hardware - might as well use it.

It's not the point. I was trying to say that the specs of this PDA look
really nice to have Newton OS on it (big resolution, nice choice of
extension cards). The fact that it does (or does not) have a camera or does
not look right to the Newton purist's eye is not a big deal, imho.

> Did anyone else notice that along with the big features listed on the
> front page (screen res, bluetooth, camera etc.) was "Landscape mode" -
> HAH, we mp2x00 users have had independent orientation for how many
> years, and Asus is touting it as if it's a huge and new thing to the
> PocketPC world?

Don't exaggerate ;-)) after all you have never seen on Apple website
statement that they owe GUI and mouse technology to the Xerox PARC either.

Imho, what Asus was stating that the OS they use has support for landscaping
mode - many other PDA OSs don't have this ability or not have it but for
every supported device.

> UGH - the speaker grill is on the back, I definitely wouldn't want to
> listen to madMax on this thing.

It's a personal choice of course but I'd rather listen to music via the
headphones - those small speakers sound awful anyway. Also if the future
NewtonOS will be implemented as a guest OS running (via emulation/simulation
or abstraction layers) in the host OS then I don't really see the point of
playing music from NewtonOS - the native MP3 player will probably do it
better ;-)

> Cf slot and sd slot are big Pluses, but I'd still like to see a pcmcia
> slot. Using the cf card slot for wifi (I wan't to say I've seen CF
> bluetooth and wifi adapters, but my memory is a bit fuzzy here), and an
> sd card for storage will be functional, but still not optimal.

I would actually dare to challenge you to find any modern PDA that has at
least one PCMCIA slot build in...

They are bulky for the small formfactor devices like PDAs. Also all common
devices nowadays do exist in CF implementation (modems, ethernet cards - you
name it). Relatively few PDAs on a market have 2 slots build in - hence I
thought that this one is certainly does loog good having e extension slots
in addition to good LCD and all. I can't see what's wrong with SD cards
either - modern palms have only SD/MMC slots and it's working just fine.

Alexey