Re: [NTLK] Rechargeable Batteries

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 11:37:01 PDT

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 01:27:01PM -0400, Sonny Hung wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:51:45 -0500, Peter H. Coffin
> <hellsop_at_ninehells.com> wrote:
> > I'm testing the Rayovac I-C3 system now. (I picked up the 4-cell charger
> > and a pack of batteries on Sunday.) They DO charge as fast (or faster)
> Peter,
>
> Please share with us the cost of such a basic setup. Good to know what
> they are going for.

Radio Shack had the 4-cell charger with two cells included for $40. 4
additional cells were $25, and I saw two-packs of additional cells for
$15. When I was researching, I saw similar prices at CompUSA, and
slightly lower ($2-3 per package) at Home Depot, but the selection was
poor and they only had the 2-cell charger in stock.

Oh, and while charging, the cells do warm quite a bit. Not burningly
hot, but uncomfortable to handle. I wouldn't advise expecting to put
them in trouser pockets immediately after charging. The charger provides
ample space between the cells to allow them to cool enough to handle
easily in 5-10 minutes.

For planning purposes, it's worth noting that the 4-cell charger comes
with a large wallwart adaptor (slightly longer and wider than the 9-watt
Newton adaptor, and about 50% thicker) with a 4 or 5 foot connecting
wire. The 2-cell charger (even larger than the 4-cell's wallwart) plugs
directly into the outlet. So, one needs deskspace but can cope with an
inconvenient but unblocked outlet, and the other needs an outlet that's
conveniently accessable all the time, but needs no horizontal space.

--
"'I'm not sleeping with a jr. high schooler! I have a life-sized doll that
looks like one.' Uh huh. That sounds SO much less pathetic."