Re: [NTLK] CF vs SD card prices

From: Sunder (sunder_at_sunder.net)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 12:33:43 PDT

To elaborate:

Yes, but that encryption isn't there to protect your data, it's there to
protect media such as songs from you making multiple copies of it. i.e.
evil DRM. This makes SD more expensive just to support the DRM.

Yes, CF is larger, but, that just makes it possible to implement cards
other than storage - i.e. 802.11b NIC's, modems, GPS devices, etc. Makes
SD more expensive just because it's smaller.

CF is also compatible with PCMCIA slots via cheap $15 converters. SD is
not.

Also, because SD is so much thinner and smaller than CF, it makes it far
more fragile.

So in the end, CF is much better for the end user than SD, more users will
buy it because of those advantages, more development will go into CF than
into SD, so you have things like cheaper CF cards, high speed CF cards,
high capacity CF cards, etc. So you get a negative spiral against SD,
while you get an exponential growth curve for CF.

If you had a choice, you'd only buy SD if you had to, not because you're
used to paying more for it.

 + ^ + :"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. /|\
  \|/ :They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country /\|/\
<--*-->:and our people, and neither do we." -G. W. Bush, 2004.08.05 \/|\/
  /|\ : \|/
 + v + : War is Peace, freedom is slavery, Bush is President.