Re: [NTLK] [OT] Windows or Mac

From: Edmund Blackadder (edmund_at_helmug.gr)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 20:59:05 PDT

HI list,

i did not want to join the avalanche of posts on this subject, but
again, i saw the same arguments for n-th time.

Fact: For anyone who has some knowledge of computer science, Mac OS X
is a better system than Windows, technologically. Way better. Not
because of Apple's magic. Because of the underlying core. (Please
notice that i said "technologically". Opinions about the GUI are very
much a matter of personal taste.)

Fact 2: For anyone who has some knowledge of computer science, OS X is
far more secure than Windows. Not because Windows are more mainstream.
But because of the technology behind each OS.

All the other arguments are just weak..

Now,

I was using mac and wintels until 1997. At that point I simply
abandoned the mac platform. OS 9 was too old for my likings. And yes,
at that period, windows were starting to get better than macs. Mainly
because macs were not evolving then.

Working for some years as technical support for Wintel machines made me
understand the full horror... And since Linux was (is?) still not ready
for the desktop.... (Ok, do not start a Linux debate here :-D )

With Mac OS X, for me a dream come true. Full power of unix, and
unsurpassed reliability. (Compared to other mainstream products).

With OS X, Apple gave to the users again a system that just works. You
want to mess with the system and have fun?Go ahead.. But when you just
want to have a job done.. the system will be availiable for you.

I do not accept as an excuse that "there are too many dumb users, so
the virii spread more easily".

Why should anyone be in an alarmed state every time he sits on his
computer?? The user has the right to use the computer without a
security checklist. I mean, he is just a home user... not a system
administrator at NASA.

As for WinXP. Yes they are better than previous versions of Windows.
But the problem is that microsoft keeps technologies that are a HUGE
OPEN HOLE. So until MS makes fundamental changes (or make a new OS :p)
things will be the same...

And another thing.. The whole unstability/insecurity etc windows
issue... is a very welcome one for LOTS of people...

I know from my own professional experience, that PC merchants can sell
cheap cause (among other reasons of course..) they get money for the
support they provide after. (More of "repairs" than support)

With macs they do not have the same margins of profit...

So... which system is better technologically? There is no question
there..

Which system is better for the individual? That is a matter of taste...

Kostas