Re: [NTLK] Radio on Newton

From: Hemant Kamat (hemantkamat_at_eth.net)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 10:38:46 PDT

>    What about PCMCIA? I think I heard something on the list about
> PCMCIA radio cards. Pin 62 of the PC Card spec is some kind of speaker
> line (http://www.pcmcia.org/pccardstandard.htm#2), which runs "binary
> audio data" (whatever that is - sample rate?).

Jim, this time last year around, there were PCMCIA FM-tuner cards available
in India. 'Made in China', you simply plugged them into the PCMCIA slot. No
drivers necessary, they drew power from the slot itself, and you listened to
the music through a earphone jack. Only one button to scan through FM
station was present alongwith a folding antenna (somewhat like the Nokia
CardPhone). Wonder if they would work on a Newton... they made great
traveling companions with a notebook.

Can't recall the name of the manufacturer; I'll post any other info that
comes to mind...