Re: [NTLK] Serial port no longer provided on new laptops ...

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 08:45:02 PDT

>Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:48:59 -0400
>From: Gavin McKenzie <gavin.mckenzie_at_gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Serial port no longer provided on new laptops ...
>
>I'll be interested to hear if you get BT to work with your PC laptop.
>I've only got it half working with my ThinkPad. I can send notes and
>stuff from my Newt, but not vice-versa. And no degree of efforts have
>allowed me to have my Newt establish a network connection through my
>ThinkPad despite hours and hours of effort messing with all
>combinations of BT Serial port configuration, Windows Internet
>Connection Sharing, etc.
>
>I'd really love to get it working.

Sounds like something that might be useful to have on the Wiki, as soon as
you guys got that sorted out, Ronnie & Gavin! Might help plenty users
who'll hafta walk the same plank in the next months to come...

Cheers,

DJV.

P.S.: It's the same approach I take with my GruendelsteinPad and the G4
Powerbook I'll get next week. Plus I think about a parallel/serial BT
adapter (manufactured by Sphinx, makers of the Pico BT cards) for my
LaserJet... Whenever I got some whatever to report, it'll be up at the Wiki.

P.P.S.: Ronnie, while I preach BT though I'm not a user yet, a
cable-solution still may be your thing, considering the sites you
mentioned. I haven't heard BT named in such a context yet, but I know that
WLAN is strongly discouraged to downright persecuted in some
security-sensitive environments. So perhaps Keyspan be thy plank, Ronnie.