Re: [NTLK] Apple G4 PowerBook Bluetooth to Newt?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sat Oct 09 2004 - 09:59:24 PDT

<snip>

> Brilliant! Maybe if we Titanium Powerbookers pitched in some money for
> spare mainboard, then we could do a upgrade service - get hacked MB,
> install, and it it works, send old MB to Marty for hacking... You
> know, a
> bit like that Newton card lending service! ;=}

Perhaps you could just stop by Seattle and then we won't need spares :~)

> What I don't like about the Italian Job is the loss of regular USB
> functionality (even if apparently only on one port).
> What I like about the French hack is that it activates a internal
> built-in
> port that's otherwise left unused (just like with Eckart's internal BT
> hack). And I couldn't find anything about any collateral damage to any
> other functionality, so I'd probably prefer that.
True, I was kind of thinking about combining the two. It seems as
though the French hack suggests that the IRDA on your PB(unused solder
pads on mine) is connected via a Third USB port that is only used for
the IR...

If the above is true, then I should be able to use the USB thumb trick
as a substitute for the very rare ibook setup and hook it to the
location where the IR was... This would give me the best of both
worlds (ie built in bluetooth and two available USB ports).
> <snip>
>
> I found Alexander Traud's Card Blues Suite
> http://www.traud.de/bluetooth,
> which allows *only* the 3Com Wireless Bluetooth PC Card Version 3.0
> <snip>
Hey, that's the one I found too. I guess we both know how to use
google then....

> Hmh, I wonder if not maybe Eckart and Alexander should compare notes on
> their projects... ;=}
I think Eckhart is doing just fine on his own... I don't want him to
waste/spend any time on this personally, he's got other things to
do...

After all, my solution to date has been to drill a tiny whole in the
bluetooth USB thumb I paid $20 for and I use it as a key chain, so it's
in my pocket when I need it... Plus lucky people with newer PB hardware
have BT built in anyhow.

Marty