Re: [NTLK] Apple G4 PowerBook Bluetooth to Newt?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 00:59:10 PDT

>From: Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com>
>Subject: Re: [NTLK] Apple G4 PowerBook Bluetooth to Newt?
>Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 09:24:30 -0700
>

>On Oct 9, 2004, at 2:05 AM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>
> > I think it would work much the same, considering that the Newton's
> > serial
> > speed is the bottleneck limiting WLAN and BT to the same max. speed.
>Oh man, not at all...
>
>Bluetooth is MUCH slower then 802.11b.
>
>This is not speculation on my part. This is a fact.

Of course you're right, Marty. I don't think I said BT were as fast or
faster than WLAN. I only said that they both face the same, ultimately
limiting ceiling in the Newton.

 From mails Eckart wrote to me a while ago:

">> How would Class I Bluetooth compare to WLAN in power consumption?

I guess it uses maybe 25% - 50% of a typical WLAN card.

>> How do Bluetooth and WLAN compare in terms of radio smog?

I think BT is has maybe around 10% - 20% of the output power.

>> Oh, and what's the difference in bandwidth?

Quite big ;) BT is maximum 80kByte/sec, and WLAN on the Newton
theoretically 1MByte/sec. But the Newton can handle at most
20kByte/sec, many applications slow down the effective rate even more
(much of the data handling is running in interpreted NewtonScript)."

"> So for Newton-related purposes, BT Cl.I has the same range as WiFi, but at
> least half the power consumption and a fifth of rf pollution. I see the
> bandwidth is the big pro for WiFi -- but as the Newton already maxes out
> before BT is all maxed out that doesn't matter, right?

Exactly, unless you want to do streaming MP3 over the air, BT is fast
enough."

Note: the ill-informed questions are mine, the answers Eckart's.

I reckon if BT has less bandwidth that WLAN, but the Newton can't even
handle *that*, then there is not much chance that WLAN is faster in the
Newton then BT, as it has to pass the very same bottle neck. But I may have
misunderstood Eckart, so if I'm wrong, pls. kindly correct me.

DJV.