Re: [NTLK] [OT] NYT carrier OQO review by David Pogue

From: Sasa (sasa.radojcic_at_xs4all.nl)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 09:24:39 PDT

Again, why is it underequipped? Processor too slow? 256MB RAM not
enough?
Well, I still believe that 1 GHz and 256MB is fast enough and
sufficient for any average user. You can do
- photoediting. An average picture on my digital fotocamera is about 2
- 3 MB so why would I need 512MB or even more to edit a picture? Ah,
Photoshop. But then again, that is a program ment for pro's. The
average user can use another program with less resourceneeds.
- Even movieediting is possible. It will take more time to render a
film, but then again most of the time you are busy thinking of HOW to
edit the movie. The final rendering can be done overnight.
- Surfing the net will not be faster with a faster machine
- Getting and answering mail will not be done faster
- Any office will just run fine, no need for a faster machine
- 256 MB is plenty for the OS and a few open applications. I do not
know how many apps you have open at the same time, but I have like 3 or
4 apps open on my computer, not more.
- If you are diehard gamer this machine is not for you, but then again,
a diehard gamer is not the public this machine is ment for.
As I can see right now the OQO has two minor hick-ups and one bigger
issue:
- USB 1.1 instead USB 2.0
- They could have put a bigger harddisk in (but then again: this is a
businesscomputer, 20GB is sufficient)
- Battery lasts 2,5h. Then again: it would be used like the newton,
sometimes on, mostly off. If you would use a Newton with backlight
constantly and enabled Wifi the batterytime then would also not last
that long. So 2,5h batterytime is enough for the intended use. And you
can carry extra batterypacks around, increasing batterytime as long as
the users wishes.

So, I think this is a cool machine. Only drawback is the price. But our
beloved Newton (any model) was also not cheap at all at the moment of
introduction.

Op 15 okt 2004 om 17:37 heeft Oliver Brose het volgende geschreven: