Re: [NTLK] Stinkin' eMate

From: Indigo Kelleigh (indigo_at_circleweave.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 11:31:53 PDT

> On Oct 17, 2004, at 8:11 AM, Ray Kloss wrote:
>
>> Back from a Newton hiatus.
>>
>> Last night I recharged my daughter's eMate with my Newton Recharger.

When I tried to modify my emate to take normal AA batteries, I accidentlaly
wired it to the circuit backwards and killed a small safety-diode on the
motherboard. There was a noticable stench and the newt refused to turn on,
even with the adaptor. I was afraid I'd killed it completely, and in fact, I
had. I needed to totally replace the motherboard and (after correcting my
wiring mistake) it works fine now.

Look for a very burned out component on the motherboard about 1 to 1.5
inches to the right of the battery connection. There should also be a char
mark on the inside of the case (luckily it's lined with metal, or there'd be
a big melty hole in the casing!).

Good luck!

-indy

Indigo Kelleigh