Re: [NTLK] best dates/names addon

From: Tony Kan (tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz)
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 14:16:07 PDT

Roman

Apologies for taking so long to get back to you on this query. There has
been much discussion of Moreinfo in the archives before. Consequently some
of the points I make below may duplicate the contributions of others.

I have not had much experience with anything but MoreInfo. Before adopting
Moreinfo a few years ago, I tried the native "dates" and "names"
application. Unfortunately I was used to a PIM that allowed linking between
items, I quickly went looking for an alternative because reviewing contact
history of a particular name or company is important to my work.

I tried Act! but again the linking functionality was inadequate.

Moreinfo allows the linking and it's logbook feature allows contact history
to be quickly reviewed.

The application stores most of its information in the standard "dates" and
"names" soups. However a significant amount of information such as the
links between items, logbook entries and other fields are unique to Moreinfo
and it must store them in alternative repositories.

This means that none of this information will be transferred or available if
one decides to migrate to another PIM.

Over time, I have found that I usually base myself around the "at a glance"
screen or the "names" overview screen. It depends upon what I am doing at
the time.

The "at a glance" screen is useful for reviewing upcoming meetings, calls,
and tasks. Its usefulness starts to diminish once the lists become quite
long and so becomes a launch point for accessing and reviewing the lists of
each type of item.

This screen also allows you to add links to particular notes. I have used
this feature to gain quick access to check lists of tasks associated with
particular projects and only relying on the tasks feature with in the
Moreinfo application for items that fall outside any particular project.
This method only works if the projects are regularly and frequently reviewed
and updated otherwise the number of tasks can quickly overwhelm the user
because the tasks are no longer immediately in view. The cliche "out of
sight, out of mind" comes to mind.

I like to do a weekly review of upcoming appointments. With this in mind, I
have found the "week at a glance" screen to be of limited usefulness because
there is insufficient space to give the user a text summary of the
individual meetings. On the other hand, it does give you a quick way to
assess which blocks of time are available for scheduling new meetings.

I hope this helps

Cheers

Tony Kan
Christchurch