Re: [NTLK] [Q] Newton Press: How to install on Mac OS X for Classic?

From: Woody Smith (woodysmith_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Oct 25 2004 - 19:32:10 PDT

You are right. In Panther you cannot install Newton Press nor NCU.
  A work around is needed. When you install either of these several
things happen. The application is placed in a folder with certain
supporting 'read me', samples, guides, etc.. some extensions are
placed in the system folder/extensions (at least the Apple Modem Tool
and AppleTalk ADSP Tool) and translators are placed in the system
folder/claris/claris translators and the XTND enabler is placed in the
Claris folder. At the Inventors Emporium you can download the
necessary XTND and translators.
<http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton.html>
I recall a discussion of the necessary extensions but sadly could not
find it in the archives.

I believe that Newton Press and NCU can be manually installed simply by
placing the right bits in the right places. I will attempt to discover
these bits by installing these applications in a new install of os 9,
but would be happy if someone else has a list.

Since for may these are essential applications and cannot be installed
under Panther, perhaps a new folder in UNNA could be made with the
parts for manual installation. I'll see what I can do

Woody