Re: [NTLK] PDF/CHM reader, Bluetooth and other questions

From: Hendrik Lipka (hendrik.lipka_at_gmx.de)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 02:19:59 PDT

> 1) I want to learn (or teach Newton) to read books in Microsoft's CHM
> and PDF formats. I'm yet to try PDFConv but it is claimed to convert
> PDF to a series of images and, hence, doesn't support bookmarks,
> hyperlinks and search.

Yes they are difficult to handle in images :)

> Different PDF to text converters are far from
> perfect also.

IIRC I have explained the problem with this on the list already - this
is because PDF works like it works :(

> I'm thinking of writing a PDF -> NewtonBook converter
> which ideally would preserve as much formatting as possible.

This is already on my todo list for PDFConv. I will try some libraries
for extracting text, and the best one (or maybe multiple ones) will
the get included. The first step would only include 'extract PDF text
as newtonbook source', but direct book creation is already planned...

> I wonder, why did nobody suggest that before?

It was suggested before. But as its a little complicated, and as the
resulting books tend to be large (and missing all the images), nobody
has created a working solution yet...

hli

--
Møøse trained to mix concrete and                                 Hendrik Lipka
sign complicated insurance forms                           hendrik.lipka_at_gmx.de