Re: [NTLK] ATA Support Error

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 04:08:47 PDT

À (At) 8:58 -0400 26/10/04, Sonny Hung écrivait (wrote) :
>The following is a clip of a post I sent to NTLK with all the info...

[snip]

>I bought the following:
>PCMCIA (CF Adapter) No Name Generic
>CF (SD Adapter) Mittoni Branded
>SD (SanDisk 256MB)

  ^^^

I can see what's wrong now.
SD cards are protected and sometimes (always?) include some
particularities that don't make them ATA compatible. The SD
specifications are closed and private.

In particular, SD cards insist for being in FAT format and refuse
some operations that would use them differently.

Nicolas once mentioned to me that on the Zaurus, which has a SD card
reader, reformatting the SD card to ext2 yielded for some users to
lose all data on it, finding the card reformatted in FAT instead.

I discourage the use of SD cards.

Paul

--
Ministre plénipotentiaire en disponibilité.
Baignoire à vendre.