Re: [NTLK] Travelling to US - baggage advice? - TSA security..

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 10:30:54 PST

> I'm sure, too, that you know: no pointy things. I lost my very nice
> mechanical pencil because it was, well, pointy.

   Hmm, but this seems selectively enforced with knitting needles. I
went to Florida, and when I got there, I realized there two long, metal
knitting needles in the bottom of my bag ("I had forgotten them! I
SWEAR!" as I'm dragged off in leg-irons to Guantanamo for
"processing"..) They didn't say a thing at security...

   I find it really funny that right after 9/11, someone pointed out
that, in the right hands, an ordinary credit-card can be used to slit
someone's throat.. Good thing they used box-cutters and not
credit-cards..

   On a more serious note: Since there have been the numerous
investigations where TV crews have been able to get box-cutters and
other sundry dangerous metal things past the supposedly "better" TSA
security (not to be political - I think if Gore had implemented TSA,
with probably the same Congress, it would be about the same..), why
hasn't ANYONE suggested setting up an AI system on the damn X-ray
machine computers to automatically scan for the characteristic
parallelogram shape of box-cutter blades, and ring a bell, or drop a
taser-net from the ceiling, or something.. Or have they, and we just
don't know it.

Jim