Re: [NTLK] [Q] How to newtVNC via Bluetooth?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 11:40:58 PST

>> Hmh, dunno - those script-things are for sharing internet
>> access of the Mac
>> with a BT-Device (phone, PDA, whatever). I don't want to
>> share the internet
>> access (-- well, I *do*, but that's a separate project ;=}).
>> How's the sharing of my internet connection helping me with
>> the VNC-connection?
>
>VNC uses TCP/IP to work, just like the internet... There is
>no automatic Bluetooth TCP/IP interface, Bluetooth doesn't
>work that way.

Ooookay...

>> Right now all I want to do is to get my Newton to log on
>> to my PowerBook
>> (newtVNC currently stalls saying "Loading the PPP
>> driver...", light on
>> BT-Card is steady green) and do the VNC (i.e. remote
>> controlling the PB),
>> not have any internet traffic passed through.
>
>Still to connect via VNC you need a TCP/IP connection via
>bluetooth.
>You may not need those scripts, but you do need to add >bluetooth as a
network interface. You could try doing
>this (Adding BT as a network interface) from the
>Network Preference pane.

Will do!

>Also, you will need a VNC server running on the PB.
>have you got that going on yet?

The BT devices are paired.
I *have* been able to teleport a note from Newton to PowerBook.OSXVNC is
running as startup item. It's there.
When I try to connect newtVNC, the message I get is "Loading the PPP
driver...", while the light on the BT-Card is steady and green. The Newt
stands at this point (not frozen, I can minimize the newtVNC app) and the
progress bar doesn't to the slightest step ahead.

Anything else I need to set to grant log-on to the Mac?
Anything that might be missing on the Newton side?

D.