Re: [NTLK] Thanks for....? (WAS: Using Hiroshi

From: Riccardo Mori (rick_at_poc.it)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 17:40:08 PST

Cwashiidcvrmtrs_at_aol.com:

> But INSTRUCTIONS? WHO NEEDS 'EM? I have an ENTIRE NEWTONTALK LIST(!),
> that
> frequently discusses wireless issues, so I JUST KNEW I would be okay...

in my humble opinion, Craig, this kind of attitude just makes things
worse.

i've subscribed to two other mac-oriented mailing lists since the year
2000. they are very populated lists, and their members have very
different levels and areas of expertise. i happened to see people
asking questions or presenting problems that often didn't return _any_
response. in these cases, having a demanding attitude and/or taking the
lack of response on a personal level ("how they, the felons, dare
ignore _me_ and go on with their OT babbling?") usually leads nowhere
and, simply, just pisses people off.

in almost four years of frequenting these mailing lists, i noticed that
usually lack of response doesn't necessarily mean lack of caring or
interest. very often, either the question/problem goes unnoticed (yes,
even if the list is very populated: on a 500+ members list, often the
"frequent posters" are 20/30 people), or everyone who reads the
question/problem is just clueless about it.

in any case, i have seen that _expecting_ people to spring up giving
solutions right away is only a boost for bile.

this list has many valuable members who can be very helpful. maybe not
about _everything_, maybe not in your specific case, but you never
know, in the future there might be another question or problem
brilliantly solved with just a couple of responses.

regards,
Rick