Re: [NTLK] New user - memory issues on an MP2000.

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 15:22:54 PDT

John Charlton wrote:

> I think the point of AVI's is that it uses ~less~ heap than using
> Notes, Extras or other built-in apps. You might want to try a freezing
> utility to turn off some of the packages you don't use often, or find
> out which are the memory hogs. I've got a lot of things installed, but
> run around 250k. Under 100 is shocking.

Yes it does use less than say Notes or Extras. However there are
backdrops that use even less. For instance Desktop that is part of the
Newts Case suite from ICS uses the least heap of any backdrop that I
have found. However I am sure there are others. It depends on which
"tools" you want on your backdrop. The more a backdrop can do the more
heap it is going to take. Personally I would continue to AVI as it does
not use much for what I can do. Just turn off the background picture
(if it uses one) to save some heap if you are having heap issues.
Especially if it is a big detailed image.

Also one other tip, do a soft reset (press the reset button the back for
one second it is like doing a reboot on a desktop). Sometimes even
though the heap is not actively used garbage collection may not have
done its job and this may fix the problem. If you still are really low,
check to see what packages you have installed. Something is a real heap
  HOG.

-Dan