Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Steve (ml-subscribe_at_xydyx.com)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 23:59:33 PDT

        An interesting point I saw on a forum was that the hole in the iMac's
stand is big enough to thread a number of cables through. So you'd be
able to thread your keyboard, card reader, PDA dock, and external hard
drive cables through the hole in the stand to keep them nice and
organized and out of the way. The design of the iMac is one that
reduces the amount of clutter on one's desk, that is the whole idea
behind all-in-one computers. The fact the iMac has a standard VESA
mount is also a reason for the rear mounted cables. On mount arms the
cables for power, keyboard, and any other external devices will be
snaked through a cable guide. If the cables were on the side that would
be very inconvenient.

        I have a 12" Powerbook that I essentially dock when I'm at home by
plugging it into an external monitor, USB hub, an ethernet hub, and
powered 4.1 speakers. My desk even with relatively few wires still gets
pretty cluttered. I can appreciate how much an AIO iMac could really
clean up someone's desk.