Re: [NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 10:03:23 PDT

>From: Rick Ludwig <bensisko_at_mac.com>
>Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 01:56:45 -0500
>
>Two Button Mouse:
>This is the exact opposite direction of the simplicty theme. Why
>clutter a mouse with more than you really need? I consider my self a
>"power" user, and I almost never feel the need to use a "right-click".
>I hope Steve and his successors never cave into a two-button mouse. All
>Apple's products, though revolutionary are simple designs right down to
>the single mouse click.

100% ACK. The specialty is that there is no real need for a 2nd button, it works just as well without it. I have to admit that I personally prefer loads of buttons though, as I grew up with it (strating with AMIGA), and I like having my setup as fast and efficient as possible. So while I copy & paste with my left hand I can instantly switch apps with my right thumb and so on. The big BUT in this picture is Apple's philosophy to build computers that are accessible for everyone. As this includes the newbies, the elderly & the impaired (I will never forget that non-Apple TV-Spot I once saw with a person without arms effortlessly operating an iMac via the hockeypuck mouse, just great) a single button means as little trouble and/or confusion as possible.

Oliver :)

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive