Re: [NTLK] Software for Newton

From: John (macnut1_at_gawab.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 13:03:39 PDT

On Sep 6, 2004, at 10:19 AM, Dan wrote:

>> At the beginning of the Newton era we had a lot of software which is
>> now a days gone. We should, In The Name Of Our Community, contact the
>> "old" developers
> *snip*
>

> As for a "official" way I don't know. The only "official" way I can
> think of is Victor or other prominent members of this community which
> already have a lot on their plate. Perhaps someone trustworthy that
> has
> been here a long time (and has some time on their hands) could be
> appointed to try and track down these old developers? Personally I
> think if you hear of some software you think would be a good addition
> the community, try to track down the developer and ask them to release
> it. Tell them of Newtontalk, WWNC and UNNA to see that we are a
> organized community and it would be great if it was released (or at
> least made available again for a fee). If you are professional and
> make
> your case well, you might be surprised at the outcome. :)

Maybe this is something that could be done under the auspices of the
WWNA? We could appoint someone to pursue the matter with selected
(maybe thru voting?) pieces of software. Maybe we could even set up an
account to accept donations which would be used to buy (if necessary)
software/source code from the original developer. The software would
then be either released to the community thru UNNA, or if needed, it
could be assigned to a volunteer developer for fine-tuning or further
development. I'm not an expert by any means, but it seems like now that
we have an "official" organization, this might be a good way to put it
to use. But what do I know......

JR

"Man has not evolved far above the slime which spawned him."