Re: [NTLK] New iMac

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 15:23:51 PDT

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 03:23:54PM -0500, Jim Witte wrote:
> > The iMac G5 has the transformer built-in. Apple provides a nice
> > downloadable picture of the iMac with the back off. You can see the
> > transformer at the bottom.
>
> Why? It makes it a nice portable package, yes (and the possibility
> of using any power cord, as long as it uses the more-used standard [not
> the round one on the iLamp] of which I have at least 50 of..)
>
> But it makes it (somewhat) heavier, leaves less room for other stuff
> inside (maybe - I don't know how big it is), and is hotter (a little,
> but that might just matter given the confined space and G5 inside)

The little one is 17" by 17" by about 2", and weighs close to 20lbs.[1]
That's portable in the same sense that a sewing machine is portable.
It won't fit in any birefcase or laptop bag I've ever seen, and would
only fit in carry-on luggage if you put it *diagonally* in the bag.

And people complain that the 2100 is uncomfortably large...

[1] 43cm by 43 cm by 5cm, 8 1/2 kilos

--
"'I'm not sleeping with a jr. high schooler! I have a life-sized doll that
looks like one.' Uh huh. That sounds SO much less pathetic."